Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Amazing Grace

The funeral for Mr. Butler was amazing. He wrote the sermon that was preached at his funeral and wow, it was good. I wanted to share some highlights that stuck out to me.



Those who die daily die easily.



Living is not happiness. Living with God is happiness.



How do you prepare for trials and struggles? When you are healthy.



God will give you the strength at just the right time-not in advance.



We are all only a heartbeat away from heaven or hell.



Examine yourself daily.



Our suffering lasts only a little while, but our glorious life in Christ will last forever.



He will make you strong, firm and steadfast.

Not everyone who says to me, LORD LORD will enter heaven. Only those who have done the Lord's will. When we stand before God many people will say, didn't I go to church, give money, teach Sunday School, etc, and the Lord will plainly say, I never knew you, away from me you workers of iniquity.

Iniquity means a gross injustice or wicked sin or act. All we have to do is to do the will of God. What is the will of God? To repent and believe.

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Ps 84:10

Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?
The sting of death is because of sin. The victory in death is through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:55

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2

In my Father's house there are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. John 14:2

I will give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. John 10:28

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

The preacher shared that Mr. Butler said the word AMAZING probably over 200 times before he died. He said it was INDESCRIBABLE what he saw as he drifted in and out of sleep.

I cannot wait to go home. And, I'll leave you with a picture of my boys snuggling during naptime right now. I love those guys!



3 comments:

Becke' said...

Such a good word!

Jenny said...

How sweet..... I bet it was a wonderful service!

Cute pics of the boys and you always have such nice sheets!!!

the Fosters said...

How often do we really examine ourselves? Wouldn't it be a much better world if we did that daily. Thanks for sharing these encouraging words.